Sunday, May 01, 2005

Pictures from the side of the road. OR: I HATE BAKERSFIELD NOW.

Here is why I left my blog to gather dust the past few days. Every once in a while, I leave Bebe in the care of his Grandma and head out on the road with the hubby. Some deliveries are "2 man" and I enjoy the change of scenerey. Sometimes the trips are just heinous. I had some misgivings about Bakersfield since the 1st and only time I had been there resulted in our pick-up blowing a head gasket and us leaving it there and renting a car to get home. (But I am in no way SUPERSTITIOUS or anything.) HA!) For the most part, the 3 days we were there went well. Except for finding a pubic hair and dirty sheets in the first Motel we checked into (and quickly OUT of), me locking the keys in the cab during one of the deliveries , and the dog getting an allergic reaction to her shots, the whole trip was going rather well. Day 3, we managed to "get the heck out of Dodge" after the delivery, and hoped to make it home before dark. We had almost 4 hours of driving ahead of us, and we seemed to be just in front of the rain. Here is where our luck began to fade. Since we decided to eat lunch and refuel at the same time, we figured that we would drive the first hour and head for 'Lost Hills'. 5 miles out of Lost Hills, the following conversation occured.
  • Hubby: Why is that Asshole tailgating us? It's not like I can go any faster. Uhhh....where the heck did he go now? He dropped wayyy back. Whats wrong with the truck?
  • Me:What do you mean 'What's wrong with the truck?' You are the one driving it.
  • Hubby: Oh Shit! The 'Check Engine' light is on, and we're smoking like crazy!

He manages to pull the truck over at the next call box, and the truck shudders before the engine cuts off completely.

  • Me: Awww Bloody Hell! NOW what? This truck only has 20,000 miles or so on it.
  • Hubby: *Jumps out and inspects engine* WHOA CRAP...I think it puked out ALL of the oil!
  • Me: I can see that from here. F***!

To make a longer story short, the mobile repair guy did not have the part, we ended up being towed ALLLLL the way back to Bakers-hell and waited around while they repaired the truck. Those guys at 'Gibbs International' are stellar. They were all friendly, competent, and got us back on the road at 10pm. I only hope that they remembered to note that they pirated the needed part off a new truck on the lot before someone decided to show it off to a potential buyer. I doubt that the potential buyer would be impressed by 4 gallons of oil spewing from underneath the hood as soon as they turned the key.

I would SOOO love to see what the windsheild looks like on the truck that was tailgating us. Serves him right. I bet he thought we did it on purpose. Considering we dumped 4 gallons, and we had about a gallon in the engine bay, a gallon under the truck, and a gallon making the back door black, that extra gallon had to go somewhere!

So that was my week, and no I had nothing better to do than take pictures while I waited for the tow. I think it was better than taking pictures of the ginormous ants that were "marching home' for the night. (You KNOW the ants are huge if you can spot them easily while you still sitting inside of a bobtail truck.) How was YOUR week?

Call Box where we ended up on The 5. We never made it to Lost Hills Posted by Hello The poor truck on the back of a tow. Too bad it wasn't towed backwards so some poor sap who fell asleep could get the crap scared out of them. (Sound famililar?) Posted by Hello BUT...we did manage to watch a beautiful sunset. Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Image hosted by Photobucket.com United Kingdom
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com