Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St.Patrick's Day

More of RagDoll's Mutterings on Holidays! Think back to elementary school. What did your teachers actually teach you about St.Patrick's day? All I remember was pinching anyone not wearing green, getting shamrock stickers, learning about Ireland, and drinking green dyed milk. Oh yeah, can't forget the story about St. Patrick chasing away all the snakes from the Emerald Isle. All the while, I had this nagging suspicion that this was so fractured. Nowhere in my beloved books had I ever read anything like this, none of my Irish friends lived on corned beef or dyed their beverages green. What's with the obsession of dying crap green to make it 'Irish'? Mexican's do not pinch anyone not wearing sombreros on Cinco De Mayo, nor dye food some unnatural color. So what is St. Patrick's day (Also known as St. Paddy's Day) about anyway? St. Patrick's Day is the Roman Catholic feast day which celebrates St. Patrick (387-461), the patron saint of Ireland. It is celebrated worldwide by the Irish , those of Irish descent, and even those who claim to be 'Irish for the Day'. (How many 'Kiss Me! I'm Irish!' buttons do you see each year? For more on the Holiday check out Wikipedia's article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Patrick So, Happy St. Patricks Day. 'Éireann go Brách!' Long live Ireland!(And when you are nice and drunk from those hideous green beers, 'Erin! Go bra-less!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Image hosted by Photobucket.com United Kingdom
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com