Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Frog Princess Update

To read from the beginning go here : The Frog Princess I carefully climbed from my hiding place, and followed her back home. I was careful to climb up my own balcony. Once inside, I waited until I heard her soft footfalls as she passed my door. I again took to the shadows and followed her to our fathers study. The door was open, and candlelight flickered on the walls. Father was slouched in his chair, a large book open on his lap. Several more volumes littered his desk and the floor around him. He looked up as my sister entered the room. She stopped just inside the doorway, and waited for him to acknowledge her, as is the custom. For, even though she was his daughter, he was still the king. He smiled and bid her enter. “Ah! My lovely Eleri! To what do I owe the honor of your visit? The hour is late, and I myself should have been asleep hours ago.” He smiled and motioned for her to have a seat. “I am just worried that you are working too hard, Father.” She smiled demurely, her drawn face the picture of concern and worry. She sat on a small stool next to my father, and laid her head on his knee, much as we once did as small children, listening to his tales of strength and valor. A twinge of jealousy and disgust tugged at my chest. After what I had just seen, I knew that she had a hidden motive to her visit. Father disentangled a knot in her hair as he absently stared at the flames dancing on the hearth. His eyes lacked their usual sparkle, and his coronet seemed to lie heavily on his brow. “I can not rest while your Mother weakens. Her appearance has not changed, but she no longer recognizes me. I fear she shall not last much longer.” His sigh shook his entire body. “She shall be called to the Halls of the Dead soon, and only the Creators know when or if I shall join her.” Mother had been slowly wasting away before our eyes. Over the course of three full seasons, Healers, Wise Ones, Physics, Conjurors, and madmen from far and near came to the palace in hopes of dispelling what ailed her. They cast spells and administered potions and poultices. Runes were drawn, incense burned, and many charts, scrolls and books were consulted. When one attempted to apply leeches to her temple, Father ordered a halt to the madness and began his own research. Mother’s spirits never waned, but as the days passed, she rarely found the strength to leave her quarters. Eleri reached a slim hand to his cheek and caught a silvery tear. She took the tainted flower from her hair and laid it in his lap. My stomach began to curdle as I remembered how it had attained its color. “What is this, my daughter? Where did you find such a beautiful bloom? I have never laid eyes upon its equal.” He held the delicate flower gently in his hand as he marveled at its beauty. “Oh, it is just something I found in the woods today. Its scent is like no other, and I thought it would please you.” She was still seated at his knee, so she tilted her face towards him with a small smile that curved wickedly at one corner of her lips. Father returned her smile and held the flower to his nose. As he inhaled, his eyes closed, and the lines of worry melted away from his face. An intoxicating scent emanated from the flower and began to fill the room. Its heady fragrance assaulted my senses. If I had not been leaning against the wall behind the door, I would have surely fallen. With a sigh, Father looked up from the flower in his hand. His blue eyes now brilliant and feverish in the flickering light seemed too hectic to be real, while his once pale cheeks seemed infused with color. “Surely this flower is from the great gardens of Inis Mór. Its scent is refreshing and eases my cares.” “I would bring you another, if you would but grant me a boon Father.” Eleri said coyly as she looked up at our father through her long lashes.“You have only to name it. If it is within my power to so, I shall grant it to you.” My sister eagerly stood up, and leaned forward to name her request. Although my hearing is sharp, I was unable to discern her wish. Long minutes passed as I strove to hear what she said. I could not read my Father’s expression, and Eleri’s face was hidden by tendrils of hair that had come loose from her braid. When she was finished, she resumed her seat at his knee to await his answer. For a few moments it appeared as if the spell my sister had woven into the flower had lost its charm. Father’s eyes became dark, and it appeared as if he were battling some inner demon. Seeing this, my sister laid her hand on his and muttered words which I dare not repeat. The enchantment held, and with a smile he spoke in a hollow tone. “So shall it be. How thoughtful of you to think of your sister as well. I shall tell Addfwyn of our plans in the morning.” “No Father. Let us surprise her at the banquet.” She wheedled. “As you wish, Eleri.” He planted a kiss on her forehead then stared idly at the book that still lay open in his lap. “I beg my leave of you for the evening then, Father.” She rose, and swept low into a formal curtsey before him. Father nodded his acquiescence. She rose and planted a kiss on his cheek. Remnants of her own blood still stained her lower lip. As she drew back, she passed her fingers across his eyes. “Sleep well, and let none disturb your slumber until Dawn heralds the arrival of the Sun.” As soon as she uttered the simple spell, Father was fast asleep. His breathing became shallow, but the misery that had masked his face was absent. For that I was thankful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Image hosted by Photobucket.com United Kingdom
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com