The trek home from Denver: Act I
It's a bit lengthy, but you can see how my outlook changes in a matter of hours. There is a definate change of tone at the end. Hah!
Captains Log: Colorado Rockies: Somewhere along I70: Noonish:Oct 12,2005
Left Denver about an hour ago. Developed a sinus infection somewhere along the way and am too incapacitated to pilot ‘new’ truck safely. Hubby ensconced at the helm, and so we begin our long journey home, with a stop in Los Angeles to install a lift gate. Not looking forward to sitting on my arse end for over 24 hours of drive time. Long haul drivers, I tip my hat off to you. Don’t know how you do it, but I thank you.
Eisenhower memorial tunnel in Colorado. An enormous building fronted the entrance to the tunnel. Felt as if we were entering the mines of Moria in Middle Earth, especially once we entered the tunnel. I am used to the tunnels where once you enter you can see ‘the light at the end of the tunnel’. Well, with the exception of the Caldecott in Berkeley. Hazardous materials aren’t allowed to be transported through there anymore. It was a pretty ugly scene when a tanker truck crashed, and exploded in there. Anyway, this Eisenhower tunnel was so long, there were electronic signs mounted from the ceiling stating speed limit and caution messages. Definitely too long for those who like to hold their breath while they are going through a tunnel.
The highway is dotted with quaint towns and beautiful landscape. Vail, Breckenridge, Rifle, etc. Would love to come back during the ski season sometime and tear up the powder. However, unless I find someone I can drag up there with me, it won’t happen anytime soon. Hubby claims to be allergic to snow, and can’t wrap his mind around the fact that I willingly choose to “ ride up the mountain on a swing in the arctic wind, then fling myself down a snow covered drop-off wearing 2 fiberglass boards on heavy assed boots.” SOME people. I, on the other hand, can not fathom why one would NOT want to do so.
Hwy 70 through Utah is absolutely stunning. The landscape is surreal. There are red clay cliffs and plateaus to one side of you , with hill faces that look like castles and draped fabric created by run off. We even drove by one spot that looked las if we were looking at Tolkiens Arda. The cliff walls looked for all the world like Helms Deep! As we neared Moab exit, the cliffs seeped dotted with castles, forts, and pueblos. To the other side were wide open, grassy expanses between the highway and the rocky hills to the south. There were enough interesting rock formations out in the distance to make me yearn to visit them. How often would I be this close to Moab and the arches? Alas, I am on a timetable, and must get a lift gate installed on this truck in Los Angeles, then cart myself back home to get my grandparents to their misc doctors appointments. I can’t wait until ;my Mom is able to take over. It is tought to cram my normal duties into my plans, when the nature of our work does not dictate a concrete or predictable schedule. Oh well, what doesn’t kill me will only make me stronger. Getting back to Utah…It seems as if we have been driving for EVER and still no sign of civilization with the exception of power lines, poles and the usual highway fare. And here I thought Hwy 5 in California was pretty dull driving as far roadside conveniences go. On the other hand, California just can not compare to the gorgeous vistas, CLEAN roadside, and excellent cel phone signal in the middle of God’s green creation. (AKA B.F.E.)
Another thing I noticed, is that hunting as a past time is HUGE! Ever since Colorado ,at any given moment, one can see full sized trucks laden with camping gear toting ATV’s equipped with gun totes, often 4 to a trailer behind them. I’m not sure if I should be alarmed or not. I laughed out loud when I thought of what might happen if these guys drove like this through the city streets in CA. Namely San Francisco or Los Angeles.
Captains Log: Late afternoon Wed Oct 12, 2005
OK, 2 hours into UT and we have finally come across habitation. I blinked and missed Green River, UT. Actually, it’s large enough to house the largest population of trees I have seen since crossing the UT/CO border. Copius amounts of amenities were advertised as ‘being right off this exit’, but I have yet to see it. Good thing I took care of business before we left the last vestige of conveniences. I might have died of starvation at this point. I have hidden a few snacks in my purse unbeknownst to hubby, just in case. We just passed a sign that read ‘ No Services next 100 Miles.’ I am not amused. Attempting to distract self by imagining faces in the rock walls.
I70 Utah: About an hout before sundown
Left all signs of habitation miles ago. Nothing but canyons and shrubs as far as the eye can see, Ooo look! Another exit that leads nowhere. At least the speed limit out here is 75 mph, so we are clipping along nicely. The view is still gorgeous, but I have noticed that our drink supply is getting low. I just may have to make a mad grab for the Styrofoam Sonic cup, and suck down the last remnants of cherry limeade. It wouldn’t do, to die of thirst if there were still some liquid left in the cup. Every couple of miles or so we come across another vehicle. The big rigs towing triples scare me. I envision being stuck behind one going up hill, and having one or all 3 of the trailers break loose and crash into us.
Hubby thinks I am delirious. I passed a comment about how we were ‘driving in to the sunset’ and starting singing ‘Rawhide’. Any minute now I expect to see wrecks of stagecoaches and cow skulls staring up at me from the side of the highway. I have counted numerous carcasses of owls, coyotes, and who knows what though. We have just passed a sign that says “Frequent deer and elk crossing”. Am counting my lucky stars that we decided to avoid coming through in the dead of night. I may have had the vapors if we suddenly smacked into an elk at 70+ mph. Visions of screaming my guts out popped into my head after imagining the whole scenario. Sometimes it does not pay to have a vivid imagination.
Oh joy! A rest stop in one mile. I will make hubby pull over, even if I have to reach over and commandeer the vehicle. My eyeballs are beginning to float in their sockets. I should never have sucked down that 44oz of Iced Tea. That crap is natural lasix. Runs right through you.
I70- Thirty minutes out of Salina, Utah: Dusk: Sun is fast slipping beyond the horizon
We are still up in the middle of nowhere Utah. My efforts to commandeer the truck were fruitless. I am now singing the ‘Beer Song’ to annoy hubby. He wants to wait until 70/15 junction to stop, but I don’t think my bladder will remain intact until then. I am betting that he will crack, and we will stop in Salina,UT . I can be quite annoying when I want to. Will resort to “The Song that Never Ends” if I have to.
Getting quite bored of the scenery. No more rock formations and canyons to look at. The terrain now looks like ‘anywhere California mountain country’. I am missing our rental car for comfort and a CD player. I did not want to turn it back in. We rented a Dodge Magnum to get around own in while we negotiated for our truck. That thing is the Culo de Gato! It was a silver beauty with plenty of room, fun to drive, and MAN was that seat comfortable! Note to self: Calculate potential trade in value of pick up and start looking at potential candidates for RagDolls new ride. It doesn’t have to have a HEMI in it. A V6 will do. I prefer Black, but will be happy with any color. Hubby can have the Thunderbird all to himself.
Captains Log: Utah- 30 minutes shy of St.George: 2 hours after sunset. Oct 12,2005
Did not have to commandeer the vehicle at Salina. Hubby apparently worn down by ‘The Beer Song’, constant chatter about using the restroom, exploding bladders, waterfalls and various other water references. He jumped out at the gas station and almost ran to the bathroom. Needless to say, my bladder did not explode. I restocked the water provisions, and decided that a Snickers ice cream bar was needed. I ate the ice cream, and quickly passed out once we hit the highway. I am still a little groggy and not looking forward to my turn to drive. Made it to St George to refuel. What luck! I got a wireless signal here to post! Next stop, Las Vegas.

1 Comments:
i can't believe you came through utah and I didn't get to see you! I would have driven to Salinas to see you. Scipio has some of these japanese/american camp remains. Horrible history there, and very sobering to see. Not sure if you've ever seen it, but it's definitely something to put on your next trip
Post a Comment
<< Home