Sunday, October 02, 2005

Hiatus is over...I'll update as I can!

One of the reasons that I have been absent from the online world, is that I have spent the last month caring for my Nana. It is absorbing most of my energy, so if I have been silent on the net, and have not been keeping in touch via phone, or mails, this is why. I have been overwhelmed these past weeks.
I used to see this sort of thing on a daily basis. I am accustomed to the sights, the smells, the emotions. What I am not used to, is the fact that I am caring for a loved one. Which is not to say that I did not care for my patients. I cared very much. I cared so much I often had a good cry once a week, when I finally had a full 24 hours or more to myself. This time, I am caring for one of the women who raised me. The woman, who despite having gone through major surgery, and is battling an infection and Ovarian Cancer, is still keeping the family connected following the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. She is all the way in California, but is still a major communication link for those family members who are now scattered throughout the nation. She is a shoulder to cry on for those who have lost homes, even as she herself mourns the destruction of her birthplace. She is so strong, yet she admitted to me that she was sad that I have to help her do things that she feels she SHOULD be able to do. My response to her was simple. This was not something that I HAD to do. This was something that I WANTED to do. Yes, I must be vigilant in caring for her wound site. Yes it is a less than savory job. Yes, it involves a process that is not for the weak of heart or stomach. Yes, I must make sure the house is cared for, my Grandfather’s medicines are managed, the dog is fed, the laundry is done, etc, Yes, I must be 2 hours away from home, away from my husband, work, hobbies, and friends. Yes, all of the things HAVE to be done, and I am more than happy to do these things without hesitation. Because I love her. What I AM having a hard time with, is the fact that I know that there are others who are and have dealt with worse, and I am thankful that despite everything that is on my plate, I am able to deal with it all. I haven’t cried (yet), I haven’t sat in a corner and felt sorry for myself (yet), I have not dwelt on the fact that this is a very serious situation, and a major life changing event. What I have dwelt on, is the absolutely amazing amount of support, well wishes and prayers from family, friends, and Nana’s medical care providers. What moves me the most is the support I get from friends that I have not even met in person (yet). I am proud to call each and every one of you who have offered your thoughts, prayers and support, my friend I offer you my most sincere thanks. I know that what I am going through pales compared to what some of you are dealing with. I hope you know that I keep all of you close in my thoughts as well. I hope to keep in touch with you all as often as I used to soon. Just because you haven’t read any updates nor seen hide nor hair of me on the ‘net, doesn’t mean I haven’t been keeping up with the forums and your blogs the best I can. I cannot begin to be thankful enough, that my life interests took a turn all those years ago. I am grateful that my path led me to become an EMT. I look upon that point in my life as preparation for life in general. There have always been countless moments where I stopped and said to myself, ‘If I had never become an EMT, I would never have been prepared for this.’ Or, ‘ I would never have been this confident’. Then again, I would not be this paranoid about not cleaning the wound site good enough either. I am a firm believer in the notion that ‘For good or for ill, everything happens for a reason/’ Which leads to my…
TIP OF THE DAY: ‘Ones true calling will manifest itself in many ways throughout one’s life. You only have to embrace it, and take things as they come.- Renee Tolero McHale’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Image hosted by Photobucket.com United Kingdom
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com