Sunday, June 05, 2005

Last request

Of all the last requests, this is the first time anyone has asked to hear my tale. Usually the doomed ask for mercy, time to say farewell to their loved ones, a last meal...You get the idea. Pity my arrow did not finish you. Rarely do I miss my mark. Are you sure this is indeed your wish? Very well, although my blade shall taste your flesh long before the night is over. My story is a long one, and you may not live to hear its entirety. But as you know, no tale is ever truly finished, so it matters not. I was not always the jaded warrior that stands before you. Fear, the love of adventure and the things I have seen have all laid claim to my creation. I have roamed many lands, seen many wonders, and acquired many skills. But for all of this, I have paid a steep price, as you soon shall learn. Now, where shall I begin? I was a just a child when a fishing boat found me drifting upon a bit wreckage that served as my lifeboat. I was too young to remember what had happened to me, or perhaps I was too traumatized by whatever the fates had brought upon me. One of the fishermen brought me on board, a shivering, bedraggled mess. I stared into the face of my rescuer, my attention resting upon a shining brooch that fastened a cloak about his broad shoulders. “Welcome aboard, my child.” I barely had time to note that the ship was a particularly fine one for a fishing vessel before I promptly fainted at the Captains feet. I awoke 2 days later in an opulent room swathed in silks, brocades and other finery. I had never before seen such fine material, and I sleepily gazed in wonder, greedily drinking it all in. As I sat there in wonderment, a young girl who seemed frightened of me jarred me from my reverie as she entered the room . She clumsily placed the tray of food at my side and scurried away without taking her eyes off of me. I decided that it would be in my best interest to eat, as I could not remember when I had last done so. I scarcely noted what I ate. I only knew that I was hungry, and I had no idea what my future had in store. After I had eaten my fill, I noticed that the girl had drawn a bath. I eagerly scampered to the sunken basin and spent the next hour in silent thought. After dressing in the gown that was left for me, I wandered around the spacious apartment I had woken up in. The bathing room I had just left had a slate floor with a red vein. The sunken basin I had bathed in was lined in the same slate, but had wonderful marbles of colored glass and mother of pearl inlaid in a wonderful flowing pattern that climbed out of the tub towards the ceiling. The basin afforded the bather a wonderful view of the ocean, and a hint of beautiful gardens filled with climbing vines and scented blossoms. Beside the bathing tub was a pile of plush towels and a basket of all the toiletries one could think of. The sink was a basin fashioned out of a large shell, and a continuous stream of crystal clear water poured into it from a hole in the wall above it. The overflow spilled over the sides and disappeared mysteriously underneath the base of the shell. In the middle of the main room was a large bed. The pallet was topped with a thin mattress full of down. It was swathed in soft sage colored silken sheets, and a wonderful olive brocade coverlet embroidered with tiny white blossoms and light green leaves. There were pillows of different shapes and sizes. Some were beaded, and some were scented with lavender. It was little wonder why I remained asleep for so long, surrounded by such comfort and luxury. On either side of the bed were small tables. There was a sheathed dagger and a small lamp with a scented candle on one, and pitcher of water, a bottle of cordial and a crystal goblet on the other. The bed itself seemed carved from one large piece of wood. There were four posts at each corner that curved to meet each other over the center of the bed. Around each post, there appeared to be a tiny ivy vine of a darker wood meandering their length. A sheer, filmy fabric was draped from its heights, and spilled around the sides, allowing the sleeper to curtain their dreams from the rest of the world if desired. The windows were curtained with a matching gauzy material that fell gracefully to the floor. In a corner alcove, there was a large armoire that held several fine dresses, riding outfits, undergarments and robes. There was also a rather ornate full-length mirror that stood on its own, supported by two dolphins carved from a single slab of alabaster. The third area was a sitting room that was divided from the bedroom by a sheer curtain that could be drawn aside according to whim. Along one wall was a row of bookcases. Each shelf was filled with books, candles and various curios. One shelf had a row of glass bottles that held different colored liquids and powders. A few bottles held what appeared to be thick mists, each one glittering and changing color as if the bottles harbored curling wisps of smoke. I longed to hold these strange vials, but the idea of an evil djinni imprisoned in the glass stayed my hand. A comfortable chaise lounge covered in crushed forest green velvet was positioned against another wall. A large potted plant with broad leaves and strange black and white flowers that resembled the head of a bird created a canopy. There was a low table within arms reach in front of the lounge, and a large woven mat of dried sea grass was spread on the floor beneath it. There was a large, crimson leather bound book, and a glass globe that contained brightly colored fish and water plants on an end table in one corner, and a small writing desk with assorted parchments, ink and quills in another. The walls had no decoration or artwork, save for a katana, long knives, a sword, a longbow and a quiver filled beautifully feathered arrows. The third wall had a set of double doors that opened out onto a tiled balcony. Sweet scented Jasmine curled across the edges of the balcony, and perfumed the air as gentle breezes poured through the open doors. It had been hours since the girl had brought my breakfast, and I had yet to see or hear another soul. I began to wonder if I was a prisoner, and as I had nowhere else to go, I decided to stay put. I randomly selected a book, and sat upon the chaise. The book was strangely familiar to me, although it was in written in a language I did not recognize. The book soon slid to my lap unheeded as I tried to remember what happened. I soon realized that I had no memory of my life before I was rescued from the sea. A soft voice startled me from my musing, and I looked up to see a tall handsome man standing before me. As I sat there, I felt as if I were being scrutinized. His eyes seemed to bore straight through me, so I nervously jumped up and attempted a curtsey. He made no effort to acknowledge me. The minutes seemed to crawl by, as I nervously waited for him to speak. Finally, when I felt that I could bear it no longer, he asked me how I had slept. He apologized for not visiting earlier, but as he had urgent business to attend to, he had sent someone my age to keep me company as well as see to my needs. When I replied that I had been sitting alone since breakfast, he arched one eyebrow, and said nothing. I hoped that I had not gotten the girl in trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Image hosted by Photobucket.com United Kingdom
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com