Riddle me this, Riddle me that...
Yes, this is the random topic I woke up pondering this morning. It could be because of the fact that I dreamt of the Sphinx and it's riddle last night.

What walks on four legs in the morning,
two legs at noon,
and three legs in the evening?
Painting by Gustave Moreau circa 1864
It is my favorite riddle of all time. The summer my first sister was born, I was VERY into Greek mythology. One of my favorites was the 'story' of Oedipus, who of course solved the riddle of the Sphinx to become King of Thebes. Riddlemaking is an ancient art, regarded by the old scholars as a test of skills. (Who is the most skilled? The riddle maker or the riddle solver?) As time went on many authors have incorporated riddles into their stories as well. (Children today have been introduced to The Riddle of The Sphinx by Harry Potter.)
As long as we are following my train of thought, I then thought about The Hobbit and the riddle game played by Gollum and Bilbo. What a test of writing! (OK...train of thought still chugging along here...) Hey! Wasn't there a chapter devoted to Tolkien's riddles in a book one of my very thoughtful friends gave me? I nearly fell out of bed reaching for said book, since I was way too lazy to simply sit up. AH! There it is! 'The Magical Worlds of The Lord Of The Rings: The amazing myths, legends, and facts behind the Masterpiece by David Colbert'. This book tickles my fancy because it is has to do with one of my favorite authors AND appeals to my penchant for mythology and the 'WHY?' of things.
So, I flipped through to the chapter of interest and lo and behold! The Riddle of The Sphinx! Along with this gem. Can you guess it?
Millions of black ants:
The army marches forward in thousands of platoons;
In six brigades;
In three divisions;
All towards the One.
So what is the answer to this? What is the answer to The Riddle of The Sphinx? Know any good riddles? (And if you leave me one, please leave the answer as well, for others who drop in.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home